When the Ohio Bobcats caravan stopped in Columbus, coaches Frank Solich and Saul Phillips were kind enough to stop by our studios. Here’s what they had to say…
- We start our discussion with Frank Solich by learning a bit about what we can expect from the Bobcats next year.
- 1:15-Whether Derrius Vick has locked up the starting quarterback’s job
- 2:42-Playfully addressing how Solich lost the recruiting battle for quarterback Joe Burrow, who committed to Ohio State, even though his dad is on Solich’s staff
- 3:38-On the Power Five Conferences and their desire for autonomy
- 4:28-Would he (please) schedule a game against Michigan since they call Ohio State “Ohio?”
- 5:15-Regarding his success getting players drafted…the numbers are pretty impressive
- 6:48-How does he successfully recruit young players, when he himself is admittedly unfamiliar with their pop culture references?
- BOOM! Phillips brings the energy right off the jump as he rhapsodizes about how awesome it is to live in Athens
- 0:57-Phillips compares his recruiting style to that of Solich
- 1:55-How difficult was it to leave North Dakota State?
- 2:58-A question about how often Phillips has “Googled” himself leads to a giggle fit, but wait until you hear what Phillips learned by doing so
- 3:47-On how emotional he is as a coach, ie. will he celebrate winning the jump ball?
- 4:37-How does he deal with officials? Plus, the one time he really, really earned his technical.
- 5:45-What he learned from Bo Ryan and Tim Miles
- 7:03-Phillips has two instructional videos for sale…isn’t he worried an opposing coach might buy one?
- 7:59-Why he ended up on Saturday Night Live. Yes, Saturday Night Live.