There was a lot of news today when it came to Ohio State athletes earning recognition. So here’s a quick rundown:
- Ohio State men’s basketball player Deshaun Thomas was named a Preseason All-American by the Associated Press.
- Buckeye linebacker Ryan Shazier won Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week honors for his 8 tackles, 2 sacks, forced fumble and interception returned for a touchdown against Penn State.
- OSU defensive lineman Johnathan Hankins was named one of 16 semifinalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award which goes each year to the Outstanding Defensive Player of the Year.
- Buckeye corner Bradley Roby earned a spot among the 15 semifinalists, and was one of only 2 sophomores, up for the Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation’s outstanding defensive back.
- Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller appeared on the list of 16 semifinalists for the 76th Maxwell Award for the Collegiate Player of the Year.
Also of note regarding Miller, for the first time today, his head coach Urban Meyer did not shy away from calling him a Heisman candidate. “Just from sheer production of a team that’s 9 0, it puts him in that category.”