Dispatch Aaron Portzline had the scoop on the Blue Jackets’ new, ahem, battle cry.
And I rather like it.
Then again, anything was better than “Gotta See it Live.”
Why, you may wonder, am I so glad that “Gotta See it Live” is dead, dead, dead? I’m so glad you asked!
- It told you nothing about the team.
- It told you nothing about the team’s character or desired identity.
- It didn’t connect with the city.
- It sounded too much like they were begging you to buy tickets. (Hat tip, Heath!)
- On a related note, it sounds like a sales pitch rather than a rallying cry.
- It was, at times, easily mocked as untrue. Who needs to see the Blue Jackets fall to the Hawks 5-1? (Another hat tip, this one to the very funny Steve Sirk!)
- It relegates fans to the role of bystander as opposed to participant in the team’s success. (There were a couple people who tweeted me this as a suggestion. Boy, you hated “Gotta See it Live” as much as I did, didn’t you?)
- You couldn’t ignore the irony of a television broadcaster telling you to see it live as opposed to watching it on Fox Sports.
Other than that, though, I suppose it was fabulous.
So I will Join the Battle…right after I’ve joined all those shoveling vast amounts of dirt on a slogan that way outlived its expiration date.